Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/2008

Hello, today Carol was pretty tired, although still wanting to talk to all of the family here. I think she may have had a little too much Ativan. As far as anything new. Her legs are pretty painful since the last surgery, so they have increased her pain medication, which seems to be giving her some naseau. They are giving her zofran for that, but may be switching to a scopalamine patch. It's like a sea sickness patch. She started eating some yogurt and pudding and a shake today. We have been intructed to continually work her right hand/fingers while we are in the room. The nurses are doing the same when they are in there.

Blood cultures reamain negative for any bacteria, but her white cell count is still a little high, but much lower still since the amputation. It's around 17. Physical therapy keeps going daily, and Carol got to talk with a counselor, both with me and alone.

She has another surgery tomorrow morning. This will be her 2nd debridement surgery. This will be her arms and abdomen. Hopefully they will clean up her c-section wound as well.

The infectious disease doctor (Dr. Greg Moss) said that if after this surgery her cultures remain negative, he will most likely discontinue antibiotic therapy.

I got to spend all yesterday with both girls, and all today with Chloe. Chloe has been too see Carol several times this weekend, and it seems to be getting easier for her. She has been pretty freaked out by all the tubes and beeps and stuff. She at least let me put her on the bed a couple times, and let Carol give her a kiss. Thanks everyone!!

scott, carol, chloe, and safiya

5 comments:

marie said...

Hi Scott,

Hang in there! I will always continue to pray for both/all of you! Lots of people praying for you both. Carol is amazing and strong and that is truly something to be thankful for. I'm happy that Chole is making the adjustment too. Spoke with Shawn and Kelly today and got an update. Please know I'm sending positive prayers your way and feel really good about it all. Stay strong! Get as much rest as you can too.

Love and Hugs,
Marie

erin said...

Carol,
You are freakin' awesome. Even being drowsy with pain meds, you take charge with what you need. I love how aware you are of what is going on around you and you are finally being able to take part in your care and rehabilitation. While Scott has done an amazing job while you couldn't help him out, I see he is more comfortable with you being his teammate. And while you are a lucky girl to have someone him, likewise he is such a lucky man to have you to fight for as well. So many people have told me to tell you they are thinking, praying and rooting for you, I have forgotten many names. Just know, you are so loved!! Erin p.s. I am still working with Kaia on your name...it will be your birthday present :-)

Rebekah said...

Dear Carol and Scott,
This is Becky Thurston, Erica's little sister. Scott, I don't remember when I first met Carol--I was 10 maybe 8? I can't picture her without a smile. Always ready to laugh, encourage and uplift. Some people are born 'cool' with an calm soul that others are drawn to. I grew up in awe of Carol always grateful for her kindness, friendship and good to the core spirit. I love her tons still today. I know those same gifts she's always shared with others will sustain all of you, including herself. As soon as we heard we started praying for you all. Thank you for the updates, you're courage, strength and example are awe-inspiring. Please look her in the eyes and send her my love and prayers of healing. Best to all of you, Becky

sara koen said...

so glad that you enjoyed your time with the girls yesterday. we will be praying for you guys tomorrow. love you both

Ally Van Leuvan said...

Scott,

Our prayers are with Carol for this surgery.

We're glad you got to spend some time with the girls. It sounds like they are doing well.

Thinking of you today.

Love,
Ally & Pete