Sunday, June 29, 2008

6/29/2008

Where do I begin today. It's been a great day!! I got here pretty early this morning, and Carol's vitals were all looking good and she was awake sort of. She can shake her head "yes" and "no", so we have been able to communicate with her today. For instance when I got here this morning I asked if she could understand me, and she shook her head yes. I asked if she was ok, she shook her head no. I told her a little bit about the c-section again and the infection and the medications she is on that are making her groggy and imovable, and asked if she understood, and she shook her head yes.

We let her rest for most of the afternoon again, and she kept doing well. Had some lunch with the inlaws. When we got back she was up again, and I started asking her if something was wrong becuase she was grimmacing. I asked if she was in pain she shook her head no. I asked if she was worried about the baby, she shook her head yes. I asked if she wanted to see the baby now, she said yes. The hospital was more than happy to oblige...so we got Safiya in and put them cheek to cheek for a couple minutes, until Carol tired out and went to sleep. It was cool, Carol knew who Safiya was and kind nuzzled in with her. Tear jerker for sure.

As I am typing this in her room, sitting a few feet away. They just gave Carol a shot of Hydrocortisone (a little bit about that in a second) she winced and her heart rate shot up. From a few feet away I can tell her to relax her heart rate is up..close your eyes and try to calm down, and she does it.

The hydrocortisone is just breaking news to me within the last couple minutes. When was I asking about this by they way like a freakn week ago. Anyway, apparently on the 27th they finally brought in someone who ordered a cortisol(one?) level. On the 28th (yesterday) they gave her some (she did great that day) today they just gave her some. She did well when they gave her some last time (although it didn't last that long). So obviously I just asked what did the level say. She seemed a little hesitant to tell me the number but that "it was about normal, but the doctor just want it a little higher." I am not sure if they had checked that out earlier as I had suggested I think a week ago, how that would have changed things.....but I am a little pissed about it. Not enought to ruin my day or anything...but a little pissed.

scott

11 comments:

Ally Van Leuvan said...

We are touched that Carol got to spend some time with Safiya! It sounds like it was a productive day. Rightly so, you are a little pissed! We'd be pissed, too.....but, like you, not enough to ruin the day.

Thanks for the post, Scott!

Love and prayers,
Ally & Pete

Lori said...

Glad to hear Carol did well today. So neat to hear she got to communicate and see her beautiful Safiya. Thanks for the updates!

Love,
Lori Stafford

lisa said...

Scott- This is lisa's husband Jay. Just wanted to tell you to be strong. Safiyas baby pictures remind me of Brady's with the tube in her nose. I know it must be so hard what you are going through right now but you have so many people supporting you. We are thinking of you guys always. Jay.

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that Carol is getting better each day. I follow the blog faithfully and keep her in my prayers. We all miss her here in Beantown and are rooting for her full recovery. Come on Mrs D. you can do it!!!

Love,
Monic

Lewis Family said...

Glad to hear that she was able to feel Safiya next to her. I am sure that was a big relief for her to know her baby is okay. We are thinking of you guys and praying for you all the time. Hang in there...SherRae

erin said...

Crying tears of joy for Carol getting to be near her baby first the first time aware! I wish I was there to share in her joy! We love you both and we are always thinking of you...love you!!
Hal & Erin

marie said...

Hi Scott! Kelly called me after Carol saw Safiya!!! She was so excited and crying at the same time. I was in tears hearing about it. What an awesome day for you and Carol...the rest of the family too. I so happy to hear Carol is responding and doing so much better. Our prayers our being heard. We will continue to pray for you all constantly!
Marie

Stephanie said...

Scott,

What great news for you and your family that you can communicate with Carol! Carol feeling and seeing Safiya will only give her more strength. Bring on more tears of joy!!

Prayers for another good day!!

Stephanie

So happy that they are finally treating the adrenal insufficiency, too.

Unknown said...

Scott,
It brought tears to my eyes just reading about Carol's time with Safiya. It's so wonderful that you were able to be there and make that happen for both of them. I wish you luck dealing with the medication/doctor challenges. Again, we can't say it enough but you're doing a incredible job as Carol's number one support person. We think about you all everyday.
Love, the Walgreen family

the piccolos said...

Scott - I've been reading your blog daily and really appreciate your time in keeping it up. I see so many really sick young people in my work and I just know that Carol is going to amaze us all with her ability to bounce back! I'm sure it gave her comfort to see how perfect Safiya is - she did a great job of protecting that little bundle from the bad stuff that was invading her body. What a good mama! You are all in our prayers every single day. Kathryn

Scott and Carol Decker said...

Thanks everyone!!

scott