Wednesday, June 18, 2008

6/18/2008b

Well it's late and just getting in.  Carol continues to do a little better each day.  The doctors said today was a bit of a struggle controlling her temperature, and heart rate.  It was 103 degrees most of the day and 140's for heart rate. They are really starting to get concerned that they can't find the locale/focal point of the infection.  

As I said ( I think I said) they were going to pull some fluid from the membrane around her lungs.  She had a lot........about 600 ml on one and about 800 ml on another.  After pulling that her temp, and heart rate almost immediately went down to normal levels.  But the fluid didn't look very (sorry for the icky word) pussy, just looked like edematous fluid.  Bacteria cultures on it I am guessing will take another day or two.  

They are thinking another CT of her colon, to see if something has started up there.  As most of you know, Carol has ulcerative colitis, well, I would write more about that, but I think Carol might say that is getting too personal:) anywho......

To answer Stephanie's question about the spleen. I think they think I am just being intrusive a little about suggesting it.  Rightly so, I would think the same. The ultrasound showed nothing, they say.  But I don't think a hypofunctioning spleen would show anything on a ultrasound or any other imaging scan.  A hyperfunctioning would I think...I could be wrong, feel free to correct me nurse practitioners and md's that may be reading.  I think a very specific blood test has to be done, and even then it's kind of iffy.  But, I really, really, really think I am right.  Not much to do about it if it is, except that it explains things, which may be why they are trying to rule out everything else first.

Safiya was moved out of the nicu to a different floor for kids who are on their way.  They say she will probably be ready to go in about a week and a half.

thanks again for reading this tirade....I am amazed at all the people that I and others have run into saying..."oh I read the blog....our thought are with your family"  THANKS!!



scott

5 comments:

Lori said...

hi scott,
this is Lori Jaeger(Con's wife-daughter-in-law of aunt Linda and uncle Miles).
we just wanted to let you know how very much we are praying for carol's recovery and for you and the girls as you go down this hideous road.
thank you for setting up this site so that we can keep up with her progress.
I will be posting on my blog this prayer request for carol...so know that you are in the Father's hands, you are not alone....

God bless, Scott
;0)

Amy Storch said...

Scott! Regardless of whether you are being intrusive or not Carol is your wife. Keep questioning and suggesting. Todd felt like a pest when I was in the hospital, but it helped. Perhaps it is just an answer to the why but don't step down. You are doing a remarkable job and Carol will truly appreciate all of your efforts with her, the girls, and continuing to work.
Todd daily would come in with documentation he found to present to my doctors. One time the suggested treatment he found was actually tried that very day (high dose steroids). If you want to question Todd at all in the midst of your busy day you can e-mail him. calpolyarc@aol.com
I hope this helps???
Stay strong Decker Family!!!

Love, Amy

Unknown said...

Scott,
I love this blog, it was the best idea ever. It has answered a lot of my questions and helped me to get a better understanding. I just want to say how impressed I am with how strong of a person you are and your overwhelming love for Carol and your girls. If there is anything we can do for you at all, don't hesitate to ask. We love you guys so much and are sending prayers and positive vibes your way. Carol is a fighter and I have no doubt that she will make a full recovery.
Much love,
K & S

erin said...

Scott,
My nurse friend just said to me in passing about this blog...many doctors aren't always sure of treatment until they read about someone else going through similar circumstances and try what worked for them. So I agree about taking a hands-on approach, regardless of if the doctor's act offended. Ultimately, you are the MOST invested in the outcome. I know you have wonderful doctors and nurses however but your opinion counts for much more than you are giving your self credit for.
Shawn-I have to second your sentiments about Scott. His girls are so lucky to have him. Love you Scotty and all your girls!

Unknown said...

Hey there...just wanted to let you know that the girls are having a great time watching Chloe. Alyssa is enchanted with her, and Jessica and Nicole are both fighting over who gets to take care of her. She's not lacking for attention! Sure appreciate the updates. This is helping so much, as so many people call and ask how she is doing. We continue to pray and send loving thoughts your way!
Beth