Sunday, November 2, 2008

11-2-2008

Carol got out of the hospital for the weekend on Saturday morning. I was able to spend both Thursday and Friday night up there with her. We are both really excited for her to come home this Wednesday, and for the formal hospitalizations to be over. Hopefully for a long long time. Carol is able to walk 300- 400 feet on her prosthetics with the help of of a walker, and shorter distances on her own. She is getting what she calls a better "ryhthm" as she walks, and less like John Wayne. Not sure what exactly that means, but I a impressed after seeing her walk. She was pretty tired for the day up there on Friday after a pretty physical Thursday. She is getting pretty proficient at transferring from her wheelchair to almost everything you can think of, if space allows. The walking thing is going to take some time to perfect and not hurt as much as it does, although she improves daily. Being able to transfer from a wheelchair is a needed in the mean time, and for the future as well. With the right set and right foods she can eat 99% on her own. With the right set up she can shower/groom herself about 70-85% herself. I have learned the makeup part, although she wants to do it herself eventually. She is def not shy about telling me I didn't put on enough blush or what have you. Things are progressing well with her and the girls as well. She can get on the floor..slowly, and play with them. She fed Safiya 2 bottles over the weekend from start to finish, and burped her. That will only get better I think. Chloe and her relationship seems to be getting back to normal. Which is great.....her relationship change with Chloe has been I think the hardest part of all of this for Carol. Carol is a much better parent than I will ever be, and it's great having her back around the house. Chloe doesn't act out as much, and all in all, the childcare I think is much improved when she is here:).


thanks for all the meals.....and everything.

scott

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the update, Scott! I am so proud of you, Carol!

Love,
Stephanie

Ally Van Leuvan said...

Way to go you guys!!

Love,
Ally & Pete

Unknown said...

Scott,
Can you tell all of us blog readers what we can do to help you and Carol?

Unknown said...

Scott,
I am just curious... Anything new with her sight? Does she have any vision at all or will she ever?
So glad to hear that things are going so well. BTW I think that you have a been a fantastic parent and husband through this all. My prayers are with your family.
Rebecca

Tammy (Mom to this crazy bunch) said...

I am so excited for your family. God sure does work in miraculous ways...

Reenie said...

That's wonderful news.

God Bless you and your family.

marie said...

Hi Scott! Thanks for the update. Carol is doing so well with all the prayers and positive thoughts for her! I'm happy this will be her last week away from home. She has come so far and will continue to improve daily thanks to all who help and pray! Love your amazing strength and determination Carol!!! :)

Much Love and Hugs,
Marie

lisa said...

I love that you are doing her make-up for her scott-what an amazing husband. Tell Carol I said for you to put on extra lipstick for me!!(HA-Ha)Love you guys!! Lisa.

erin said...

Scott, while Carol is an amazing parent...you are too, just in different ways. That's why there was meant to be two of us right? Then there's the small village as well. But you both are really amazing to the rest of us! I am so excited that Carol is going to be home more so I can jsut pop in with Kaia and play with Chloe and chat more with her. Thnx for posting more :-)

Erica said...

Wonderful to hear you two have been able to spend time together.
It is no surprise Carol is making great strides --pun intended!
Don't underestimate YOU in all of this, Scott!
You guys are surpassing all of this 'stuff' together and I am in grateful awe.
Sending my love...

marie said...

Hey Scott,

Did you receive the card I sent to Carol?? Just wanted to make sure you/she got it.

Thanks,
Marie

Brandee Hogg said...

Scott,

You BOTH are amazing people. It is absolutely not surprising to hear how strong Carol's will is and equally not surprising to hear that YOU are doing an overwhelmingly fantastic job as a husband and parent. I always knew that Chloe would find her way back to mom just needed to take a little time. They too are amazing children. Congratulations!

Love
Brandee

joyfuliving said...

wow! praise the Lord! what an exciting read of all the blessings He is showering daily!

Lori said...

That is awesome. Way to go Carol! So excited for your return home.

Angie said...

I have been following your story. Just wondered if Carol can see now, as you said she tells you if you don't apply enough blush?

marie said...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update! So happy Carol is coming home. She is such a fighter that I'm sure she'll keep her progress moving along - no mater what. I can't imagine she'll not keep fighting. I loved the fact she can tell how much blush you have put on her just by touch that is a gift! I have faith that a miracle will happen. At least that is what I pray for her all the time.

DID YOU GET THE CARD YET???

Love and Prayers,
Marie