Wednesday, November 5, 2008

11-5-2008

So today is the big coming home day for Carol. I will post on how that goes. She is abit nervous about it, but more excited than anything. She is nervous that she won't keep progressing in her recovery. We have in house rehab continuing for the forseeable future. Making goals I think is the key...at least for us it usually is.

A few people keep asking about her vision. She just knew I didn't put enough makeup on, she can't see. Her optic nerves, which are nerves that come right out of your brain to your eyes have degenerated. Her visual cortex in her brain is fine, and her eyes are fine. Having your optic nerves degenerate is much like a spinal cord injury in that the body doesn't allow them to regenerate, unlike the nerves elsewhere in your body like her right hand. Her right hand is gradually getting more feeling back in it and more motion becuase the periphal nerves regrow. Science and medicine is working on regrowing optic nerves and all other cranial nerves for that matter. But it is pretty complicated. In any case, the moral of the story is that, it would pretty much take a miracle for her vision to "come back". That is, without medical intervention. Much research is being done in this aread right now, both with stem cell, and other chemical means. Hopefully in her lifetime...other things are being worked on like retinal chips and things of that nature. Hope that clears things up.

Scott

19 comments:

Unknown said...

We're very excited that you will have Carol home with you and the girls again full-time. We have no doubt that Carol will continue to make huge strides in her recovery. You are both remarkable and we are so very lucky to know you.

Love,
The Walgreens

Pauline said...

I am so happy that things can get back to semi-normal for you guys. kisses and hugs to Carol hope to be able to catch up and chat soon.

Love
Pauline

joyfuliving said...

i pray that being home will give her the extra strength needed to continue to heal. blessings! :)

KariAnne and Benny said...

Welcome back home sweetie!

Stephanie said...

We are all so excited that you are coming home today, Carol. Much love to you.

Stephanie

Just me! said...

I hope she knows she is beautiful even if she can't see for now. Best wishes!

marie said...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update! So happy Carol is coming home. She is such a fighter that I'm sure she'll keep her progress moving along - no mater what. I can't imagine she'll not keep fighting. I loved the fact she can tell how much blush you have put on her just by touch that is a gift! I have faith that a miracle will happen. At least that is what I pray for her all the time.

DID YOU GET THE CARD YET???

Love and Prayers,
Marie

Scott and Carol Decker said...

We did get the card Marie...thanks a bunch!!!!

marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marie said...

Thanks Scott! I know you are super busy, I wanted to make sure since I hadn't heard, you never know if things get lost in the mail etc.

You are so welcome! Hoping to do more in the future!

Marie

Lowly said...

So glad she will finally be home with her family. That will be the greatest motivation for her to get completely well. Looking forward to some great pics of her and the girls as you continue this new phase of your family's journey. All the best to you. You have great courage.

Koalaty Engineer said...

I have never met Carol but I have been following the blog for the past 2 months since a friend's 15 year old was involved in a life changing accident. Everyday I am amazed at Carol's progress and determination! I have never met Carol but I am always amazed by her. Absolutely amazing - Carol - you give inspiration to everyone. I can only dream of being as strong as you are!

-SamQ

Erica said...

SO very glad you are going to be able to be at HOME! Love, Erica

liz.mccarthy said...

I just came across your story today while blog-surfing. I just wanted to say congratulations on Carol's homecoming today. In my years of blogwriting my story, I've had many tell me that they stayed up many nights reading my story, I have to say I've never said the same to any one else until now.

Thank you for taking the time to blog about Carol's story, what a wonderful father you are, your girls are just georgous. My heart goes out to you, Carol and your family.

I wish you all the best for a happy, homecoming. I was on bedrest and incapacitated for about 13 weeks (I too became septic after a c-section), and I remember my homecoming like it was yesterday. I can't even imagine how it is going to feel for Carol.

What an amazing woman and family.

Liz

WWW.micropreemies.com

Reenie said...

Oh Happy Day!!

Unknown said...

So glad she's coming home! We'll be seeing you soon.

Jay, Beth and kids...

lisa said...

I am so happy to hear that Carol is
coming home today. I wish I could be there to welcome her. I will plan a trip to come visit soon. Scott let me know when you have a busy week coming up and need some extra help and I will be there. Love ya, Lisa.

Lucky said...

For whatever reason,
I'm still feeling that a miracle is forthcoming.
I have from the time I saw Carol at the fairgrounds...

Candie said...

I'm so glad that you are able to come home to your wonderful family Carol!
Thanks again Scott for the awesome blog!

Love and Prayers
Candie