Friday, June 10, 2011

6/10/2011

Well it's been three years today.....happy birthday Safiya!! Thought I should leave a small post today and just say that everything is going fine. Life progresses health wise for Carol all the time, she walks, is a great mom and wife, and everything else a "normal" family is. She continues to get new prosthetics for her legs every once in awhile as needed. She is going to have her final right leg surgery before the holidays this year. There is a bone regrowth somewhere, that's makes it hard to walk on for long lengths of time. She doesn't ever really wear her left arm prosthetic, she finds she is more comfortable and do more without it. She goes to a hand therapist to work on her right hand every week, and a physical therapist in Puyallup who has a lot of experience with amputees. I would say the biggest changes with Carol the last couple months is that she really seems to have a good oversight of the house, not that she wasn't doing well at that before, but now pretty much I have no idea what is going on there schedule wise, and it all is getting done, because she manages it all:) The girls are also doing well, still small, but growing. Thanks for all the support. The Deckers



9 comments:

Janel said...

what a complete joy to hear that you are all back to a new "normal". Happy Birthday to Safiya!

I think Carol must be one hell of a woman to have triumphed through this trial!

I hope you all have an amazing life together, all the rest of your days!

Thanks for the update Scott! I was just thinking last week that blog land would never hear from you all again. So glad to know I was wrong..

Carlee said...

Scott, your posts encourage me every time I read them. Thanks for sharing!

naturegrams said...

Thank you, thank you for the update. It was so nice to hear from you once again. I am glad that things are going fairly well. You are still (and will always be) in my thoughts and prayers. Your whole family is an inspiration. You two parents are awesomely amazing!!! Keep up the great work. Hugs! Susan ....and a happy b-day for Safiya

asplashofsunshine said...

Amazing family, amazing recovery! Happy birthday Safiya!

m&msmommy said...

Thank you for the update! I've been following your family, and although I don't know you all, you have been an inspiration! I'm so glad to read that life is continuing on, and going great for you all! :)

Anonymous said...

I check in every week and it is so nice to hear how oyu al are doing. What a great example Carol is to all of us. Hey Carol you keep goig girl you are awesome. Scott please share more often.....(wink)

Jen said...

Hi! I have followed your story and wanted to share with you that 4 years ago I became ill with a blood infection which caused my body to become septic. This resulted in the loss of both of my legs (BK) and my hands. However, my life is just as full as it was before. I would love to communicate with Carol and gain encouragement from eachother. Her story is very powerful and I am inspired by both of you.

My email is jgrif123@gmail.com. In addition, I have started a foundation that Carol might be interested in. The P.L.A.Y. Foundation which is a financial resource for amputees to get involved with sports, education and the arts. www.playfooundation.net

All the best to you both,
Jennifer Griffin
Dallas, Tx.

Suzanne Uschold said...

Thanks for the update, Scott. It's great to hear that things are going so well. I miss you all and think of you often!

Jodi said...

Thanks for the update! Carol is very infpiring and an amazing woman!